Recipe pilfered from some website in France, very light, foamy, strong egg and lemon taste)
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 2 lemons
- 3 eggs
- 200g sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- Separate the whites and yolks into their own bowls. Beat the whites, then the yolks.
- To the egg yolks add sugar. Whisk until the mixture becomes light colored and foamy.
- To the yolk-sugar mixture, add the cornstarch and water, then add the lemon juice and zest.
- Cook almost to the boil over low heat, whisking constantly. When the consistency resembles that of the cream, stop cooking and let cool.
- Beat egg whites until firm, fold into the lemon mixture with a wooden spoon, not a whisk.
- Pour the mousse into 4 glasses and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving cold.
Note: I've used 1/2 and I've used 1/4 that amount of sugar and it was just fine.